Wednesday 2 November 2011

Exercise with Purpose

Hello readers,

This week I want to explore the aspect of purpose and how it can
serve as a motivator in your fitness regime.

If you have read my free report, then you are aware of my view
about having reasons that REALLY work for us in order to maintain
consistency in our health and fitness.

I bring up the concept of purpose as a motivator because a
purpose is more than just a reason. Its something that has a
certain charge behind it that no regular reason can provide
unless it has purpose.

What exactly is a purpose?
How does it appear in the context that I'm referring to?



Have you ever had a task that wasn't particularly enjoyable or
inspiring to do, and yet you did it consistently?
For example a job you had to show up to regularly, or chores you
had to fulfill, or homework you had to turn in(if you were a good
student).
The question is, what exactly kept you going or doing those
things?

I'm willing to take a guess at what that was. You valued
something that those particular tasks promised as an outcome. You
valued the financial support that the job offered to provide you
and/or your family. You valued the standard of hygiene and
cleanliness that the chores offered. You valued the opportunities
that a good grade offered from the homework.

The one thing that all those values have in common is...PURPOSE

That's right. They each serve a purpose. Everything that you
value is a representation of what has purpose to you. That is how
you define what has purpose and meaning to you.

The reason I'm going on about purpose and meaning is because it
holds a powerful clue to what motivates a human being in all
aspects of life, including health and fitness.

So...How do you give exercising and working out purpose and
meaning?
By aligning what you TRULY value to your exercise way of life.

If you can do that, then you have a powerful motivator that will
ensure that you stay in the game long term.

Ask yourself, what might those values be for you?
What do you show up to consistently?
What activities, experiences, surroundings or conditions are a
must have to you?
And
What emotions do you feel or strive for on a regular basis?

These are all clues to what you genuinely value, and if you can
answer these questions, then you have one or maybe several
leverage points to apply on yourself for greater access to your
motivation towards exercise.

One last thing I like to point out is how sometimes the purpose
that's being served and the task or activity that's serving the
purpose is not always direct. I like to call these indirect
intentions.

In order to stay on topic I will use my experience as an example.
I like to cycle as my main source of transport. I enjoy cycling,
I do acknowledge it is one of my ways of exercise in my way of
life, but I don't do it primarily for exercise. To me, it's just
a way to get from point A to point B. It's also how I get out
when I just need some space. The point is, the purpose it serves
me is transport and a way to get some fresh air and light. The
benefits it provides me with are, cardio, stamina and some muscle
tone to name a few.

The distinction between the benefit and the purpose are what
separates what motivates us and what we hope to gain concerning
something we feel we don't have enough of or just wish to have
more of(usually based on an insecurity or a fear that we want to
be protected from).

In closing, keep the concept of indirect intentions in mind as a
way of keeping yourself open to the possibility of ANY of your
own valued purposes being fulfilled by exercise and fitness
routines. Any of your values can be the key reason for you to
exercise rather than the benefits it provides.



Inspired by fitness,

Clinton Boucheix

No comments:

Post a Comment